Sunday, August 17, 2008

New Callings

I thought I'd just pass on the info that Charlie was put into the bishopbric (sp?) today as the second councelor. We had his parents, my parents and his sibblings come to church with us and then his brother and wife and their crew and my mom and dad came back to our house for lunch. It was fun to have them over to visit. We aren't too excited about this new calling, but know that it's what the Lord wants. We are willing to serve in the ways He needs us to. I was put into the Relief Society presidency as the 2nd councelor a couple of weeks ago. I'm over enrichment. I think I'm more excited about my calling than Charlie is about his, but mine has more perks and is more fun I think. I'm the weblos leader too until they find someone to replace me. I should be O.K. with it for a little while. We'll see when school actually starts how things go. Hopefully I'll be replaced by then.

Speaking of school, I was officially accepted at U of M Flint this week. Now I just have to sign up for classes and I'll be a student again. I don't plan on going full time this semester. I haven't taken classes since spring of '06 so I kind of want to get my feet wet before I jump in. No job yet for Charlie. We still have hope. School doesn't start for another 2 weeks so there still is time, but we know the reality isn't all that good. With God all things are possible though, so we know it could still happen. Charlie will be going to get fingerprinted this week though, so he can start applying as a substitute teacher for the schools around here. He will be working somewhere, somehow, maybe just not the job he wants right away.

The kids are excited to start school soon. We've decided to put them back into the charter school they were at before in Grand Blanc. It's called Woodland Park Academy. Before they didn't offer hot school lunches. You had to pack a lunch for your kids. You also had to transport your kids there with your own car, car pool or pay for the city bus to take your kid there. But now the school is offering a scholarship to help with transportation costs and are providing hot lunches at school with the free/reduced school lunch program. Those things helped us to choose that school again. Otherwise we would've probably sent them to the local public school. My only hang up with the public school was that when we move, later on, in the middle of the year, (we don't plan on staying in the house we are in, we want to buy somewhere else) the kids would have to change schools (most likely). With them being at the charter school, they won't have to change schools, because the charter school doesn't operate within a certain boundary. I think it will be better for the kids this way. Now I'm just working on collecting uniforms for four kids. The school mandates that the kids wear a uniform. What a task! Especially when you are working within a budget. I actually like having the kids wear uniforms; they don't, but I do. I think it's easier, once you have the wardrobe that is.

3 comments:

Jason and Kerri Allen said...

They are going to keep you guys busy. I was excited to hear about your schooling. I want to take some classes next year when Kate is in school full time. Any news for Charlie's job hunt? Keep us posted.

Hillary said...

No job yet. I have faith that Heavenly Father will provide some way for us to take care of ourselves. Although, I don't know if it's necessarily a job. We'll have to wait and see.

Hillary said...

P.S. You should take classes, Kerri. What degree do you want?